Social media has become such a huge part of our lives, and it’s a great way to stay in touch with friends, network, and find out what’s going on around the world. However, with every great new tool, there are always going to be downsides. Social media can turn into a negative when you get wrapped up in it or find yourself spending too much time on it. Here are some tips for staying positive while using social media.
- Don’t let negative comments get you down. There are always going to be people who will try to bring you down and be a bully, behind a screen or in person. When you see these type of comments on one of your posts or pictures, it’s important to remember that what they are saying is not necessarily true. The best way to deal with it is to just ignore and move on. Arguing with this type of person won’t help the situation and could make you feel worse. Take the high road and just let it be.
- Limit your usage. This one is so important because sometimes we get so wrapped up in the social media world that we don’t pay attention enough to actually living our lives. Pick a time every night about an hour before bed that you put your phone down and relax. Maybe even pick a day on the weekend that you don’t use social media at all. Taking a step back from social media will make you happier and more focused on your everyday life.
- Don’t compare yourself to other people you see on social media. When you’re scrolling on Facebook or Instagram, you’re bound to see people posing in all these exotic locations and looking like they’re living a much better life than you are. The truth is a lot of what you see on social media by these famous influencers are staged and it doesn’t always represent who they really are. They still go through struggles just like everyone else. It’s not a true representation of reality that you should look up to.
- Don’t share every detail of your personal life. There are certain life moments or happy times that we want to rush to post on social media. This is fine to do but, you don’t need to post every moment. Live in the moment! If you’re going through some struggles or need someone to talk to, reach out to a friend you trust. You don’t need to post it on social media because as said before, there will always be negative people on there. Make sure you take care of your mental health first!
- Be supportive of others. As the golden rule states, treat others how you want to be treated. Being positive while on social media starts with you treating others in a positive manner. Maybe your friend just put up a new picture on her page, a simple compliment can go a long way. If a friend posts something that sounds like a cry for help, reach out to them and make sure that they are okay. We all have to be supportive of others because you never know what struggles someone else is going through.